Today I’m talking about self care. Now before you roll your eyes (I do too) there’s such a bit misconception about self care and what it is.
Self care is a necessary function that we all need in our lives. In this fast paced world we seem to forget to put ourselves first.
“You cannot pour from an empty cup”
You need to fill up yourself first. Self care is about actions and things you do in your life that help to protect, maintain, develop or improve your health, wellbeing, your emotional and physical states. In other words, we need to look after ourselves.
Often we think we’re looking after ourselves, but we’re not making time to nourish ourselves, to nurture, to rest, to replenish, to enjoy. It’s about being fit, healthy, kind .. you could go back through all the podcasts I’ve done!
It’s so easy to just carry on doing all the things that need doing in our lives, or telling ourselves that we don’t deserve it, that it’s pointless or selfish. Self care is absolutely essential.
Remember a car needs regular maintenance, so do we. Remember too the essential things we need to know when we’re on an aeroplane and putting the oxygen mask on ourselves. We’re no good to anyone else if we cannot breathe!
Often self care is about doing small things so that you can be the best that you can be.
4.38 Listen to Emma talk about how she had total recognition about when she needed to ensure her own self care was essential, to be available to support her children.
“Self care is more than just a scented candle!”
“I wouldn’t be here today, supporting the family, running the business, helping others, working 1:1 and in companies without self-care.”
How much and how frequently you put in self care depends on your circumstances. What works for me will not work for you. It needs time to assess and find the individual thing that works for you.
8.35. Why Do We Need Self Care Now?
In the olden days, life was much simpler then. People did one thing at a time. Reading the newspaper, darning socks, watching the flames in a coal fire or had conversations with each other!
In this fast paced world we can watch tv and have phone in hand and talk to kids or partner and have work stuff in your head. That’s why we need the self care.
11.25 How to Find Self Care That Works For You?
It’s about finding things that help you feel balance, in control, that life energies or relax you down. Find times that you just stop or rest for a bit.
– Read a book
– Listen to music
– Watching tv (but stop multi-tasking)
– Sit with kids, connect, have a snack and a cuppa (whilst it’s hot)
You don’t always need to spend a lot of money or take time away
– Have a bath, but lock the door
– Take a walk
– Get into nature and notice the surroundings
– Learn a breathing technique
– Drink water (not the tonic in your gin)
– Healthy food
– Have a snooze / meditate / self hypnosis
– Cuddle someone, increase your love hormone called oxytocin
– Ask for help or share with friend or partner
Be Kind to yourself
– Forgive yourself for mistakes or judgements
– Be accepting or circumstances instead of fighting or raging
– Get boundaries in order with clear priorities
– Pick your battles, we can’t make others do things
– Decide where to put your energy for the best impact for success (it might be you)
Sometimes you need to put energy into you first and then decide where you need to be to support others.
Give Yourself Permission
– Spend a bit of money on yourself (doesn’t have to be lots)
– Buy some flowers
– Get the Ahh factor from little treats
– Schedule time out
Raise your feel good chemicals
– Laughter, especially a good belly laugh
– Smile at people
– Talk to someone in the street
– Exercise, although it might need scheduling.
Finding the things that help you. And recognise that these interests can change over time.
Let me know what works for you. Contact me at http://www.emmalangton.com
Get the Self Doubt Guide bit.ly/SelfDoubtPodGuide